My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://mellissahughes.com
and update your RSS reader and bookmarks.

Monday, June 16, 2008



I'm still alive, and still burning as this lovely card that my bestest friend Kendra mailed to me from Illinois reminds me. It's been a light blog month for me, as I was traveling, and I haven't really had much to say recently.... being alone will do that to you I guess. Matt, the horn jock, is staying in Canada for another two weeks, but Gurf is moving into Bill's room tomorrow, so there will be another soul this far south in the borough to convince me to leave my hobbit hole every once in a while and interact with civilization.

To update you, my blackberry trauma is over, temporarily. After telling T-Mobile that I would not be purchasing a THIRD blackberry in an 18 month time period I bought the crappiest, oldest SAMSUNG model they had in the store. This phone is soooooo old!! Like, it doesn't receive picture texts old, and good old-school T9 did not know the word BLOG, and when I tried to type WAL-greens the other day, the predictive text recommended Y2K.... yeah, Y2K!!! But the Google phone is a-coming, and the i phone is so cheap now, I can hold out for a little while longer, right?? I'm not gonna lie to you, I miss some of the features, like my camera, and BB messenger, and Google Maps, my God I relied on that... yet I don't miss looking at my phone every minute for texts and e-mails etc. When all is said and done, it's kind of amazing what we can live without when push comes to shove.

I've been working for Classical Music Archives like crazy, cataloging and updating their database. Classical Music Archives will hopefully, someday, be a cross between i tunes and Grove Music. Right now I'm trudging my way through all the Handel Operas. There's a lot of them. I've listened to more Fritz Wunderlich recently than any human being should ever be subjected to.

In real music news, this Saturday is Make Music New York!! The one day where musicians take over the streets and pollute the city with loud noise. Newspeak plays outside the Cornelia Street Cafe at 6:30pm. On the program is Rzewski's Coming Together, Little's Sweet Light Crude, and a new piece of Sarah Snider's- This is What You're Like. Come on out! it's free, and I'm sure there will be lots of kids (like mine!) and balloons, and food and beer.... yes, beer.

Also, in between my cataloging and indulgent LOST re-viewing, I've made a muxtape. It's pretty chill summer music. I could listen to it all day, but it may not be your cup of tea. Give it a listen here. Wow, how's that for a recommendation? God, I sound so pathetic. Too much Fritzy will do that to you.

No comments: